On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:56:20 +0200 Anders Petersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> Hi,
> I have continued to investigate the slow performance of my edje project.
>
> Of course you are right, there are many Evas_Objects and smart objects.
> I updated to the 'calculate' patch that Gustavo committed. It works
> wonders! Thanks, Gustavo. I'll apply one of Gustavos fixes if they are
> deemed ok:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg18947.html
> Also, now I don't need to do edje_freeze()/edje_thaw() when using
> 'calculate'.

also note - making it 1 big edje object means you can't reduce the object count.
evas will struggle as the object count goes up with state engine passes needing
to walk larger lists of objects to figure things out.

> I tried to optimize emitting "program,start" and "program,stop" to
> supply the Edje_Program object directly instead of requiring extra
> edje_match_programs_exec calls. Then I discovered that these signals are
> just emitted in case anyone would be interested. I can't see that we
> need this possibility so I removed the emitting of "program,start" and
> "program,stop" altogether. This alone doubles the speed.

i've disabled them in upstream now. you have a point there. they were there
for informational purposes - and i think once i did use them, but before i
added after: programs.

> Enabling EDJE_PROGRAM_CACHE still gives some advantage it seems,
> although not that dramatic when I avoid all "program,start" signals.

that cache is a little bit of a hack though. it'd be much better to really
address the core issue which i think is that you need to split things up a bit
and possible use embryo script more etc.

> For the moment I think this is all I need. In total I've got 5-10 times
> faster execution. If further needs arise, I have gained some insight in
> what to look at.

that's cool.