Gustavo wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Enlightenment SVN
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Log:
>>  add evas_object_box.
>>
>>  Box is a smart object to help with the common task of laying out lots
>>  of objects. It's very flexibile and one can customize the layout
>>  function on a per-object basis dynamically, just set a new layout
>>  function (the most common are provided). By default layouts use size
>>  hints from children to do their work, but one can also add new
>>  properties, just subclass with evas_object_smart_smart_set() and then
>>  define your own option_* callbacks.
>>
>>  This code was ported from Guarana (widgets/sequence_box.c) with
>>  permission of ProFUSION embedded systems so it can be relicensed from
>>  LGPL to Evas license.
>>
>>  Original author: Gustavo Lima Chaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  Port: Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>

> This code is part of our effort to unify common code into base libs,
> where its worth to avoid duplicating code over and over again.
>
> With that in Evas, we can now expose it in Edje and use it in Guarana
> and Elementary and possible any other toolkit. It uses Evas_Object's
> size hints infrastructure, but can be extended to have its own
> properties if one wish.
>
> Attached is a test case and example. You can try to hack your own
> fancy layout function, it's it's generic and useful to others, add it
> to evas as well (Like layout using a Bezier or any other path).
>
> People implementing Ecore Evas can now use layout "stack" and
> ecore_evas_object_associate() to provide the "main window" concept,
> just add your background and then your object to the evas_object_box
> and associate this box to the window. If you want your background to
> scale in both directions, just set it's aligns to -1.0 and -1.0.

   This is the kind of thing that I hoped evas would avoid tending to, and
yet both raster and gustavo seem prone to want to get into. :(
   I know it's tempting to add more and more specialized layout/widgetry
'objects' to the core evas lib/api, but I think it's a big mistake for evas
in the long run.

   It's not hard to start extending evas *and* edje to allow for custom objects,
even if at first all such object modules need to access evas internals. Adding
these kinds of things, whether text-grid objs, or box objs, or table objs, etc..
directly into the evas lib api is likely to become 'not a good idea'.