I wrote:

>    Ok, let me pose this this from a different view.. let's not worry about
> whether
> or not such 'layout' or 'widgetry' or 'special-purpose' or whatever kinds of
> objects
> should be added to the evas lib *api* -- I don't think they should in some
> cases,
> but that's partly incidental here.
>
>    There will be a need for such kinds of objects, and others... things like
> custom
> self-rendered objs (possibly relying on other libs and apsects that those
> libs allow)
> that are best implemented at the 'evas level' for efficiency reasons and
> whatnot.
> It's just a matter of where their implementation should be, how to realize
> them..
> and how to expose their apis.
>
>    So, let's discuss the underlying issue that I think is what should be
> addressed
> here - namely, that of evas' "extensibility" at least as far as object types
> goes.
>
>    Would one want things like "object modules", or libs of them, for giving
> evas
> that kind of of flexibility and extensibility at a low enough level?
>
>    Well, one could certainly obtain the kinds of objs you want here, quite
> trivially
> really, and have them implemented by some lib.. even by edje itself say. And
> you
> could have things like a 'cairo' or an 'svg' object (which for certain engines
> could be done more 'directly' then via having these render to an argb
> buffer), and
> you could have say an 'ogre3d' object, or maybe a 'gstreamer' obj, or a video
> obj,
> or many, many things... and not have to worry about these being 'added' to the
> evas lib's api, or imposing a hard dependence on them by evas.. and yet, they
> can be
> implemented at the 'evas' level (possibly having them need access to evas
> internals
> at first, as I quickly outlined in an erlier email, and maybe further refined
> into
> a more abstract mechanism later if desired).
>
>    So, as a question: Would this kind of extensibility for evas be something
> desired?
> What concrete things could you do with this?
>    Is it a 'better' way to 'add' special/custom objs to evas then always
> worrying
> about whether or not to extend the evas lib's api with this or that 'one'
> useful obj?

   Just to throw in a couple of other interesting aspects that one may want to
ponder on this stuff...

   Given such an 'object modules' extension mechanism for evas, how would one go
about extending something like edje/edc to allow for using some given set of
such
object modules (ie. how to make edje/edc aware of and represent any given
custom object types - beyond simple swallowing of external objs that is).
   Once one has that, it could possible to have things like edje_editor have
a plugin system that would allow for people to extend it to allow for building
edjes which take advantage of some given set of object modules.