Hey,

I'm using the 177.80 proprietary driver from nVidia. I'm interested on
trying nouveau. How do I install it?

 * main site : http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

 * installing nouveau :

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau

or better:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/UbuntuPackages

as geubuntu is based on ubuntu.

Vincent

On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 07:33:02AM -0600, Jorge Mariani wrote:
I have a Dell Precision M4300, CoreDuo, 4GB RAM, two disks (40GB
Solid
State, 80GB SATA), and nVidia Quadro FX360M.
I have installed Ubuntu Server with LAMP.
I usually run Firefox 3.0.3 with Firebug, Scite or Bluefish, Pidgin,
and sometimes GIMP.

[snip]

I navigated the whole internet looking for solutions, and none
worked,
until I found an article talking about GMail messaging and having
issues with that. So, i disabled GMail from Pidgin (I only have Luca
connected) and then voila, freezing is no longer happening, and the
machine is usable again (besides the fact Firefox still eats round
40%
CPU when scrolling a page).

Noting that your video card is nvidia and you're seeing slow
scrolling, you're probably using the nv open source driver.

If this is correct, you're likely experiencing software glyph and
compositing issues from Xorg.  You'll notice this happens in varying
degress when Gecko renders layers of translucent images.  The more
layers to blend the worse it get.

Check if nouveau, the experimental accelerated driver, supports your
chipset.  If so, you should experience quite better performance.  I'm
using nouveau with a G7x card and Enlightenment.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets
tough,
the songs get tougher."
        --Woody Guthrie

Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
suspect n'a été trouvé.
Message délivré par le serveur de messagerie de l'Université d'Evry.