----- "Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> it is
> > >
> > > similar to how they choose as well (given the user is not making
> this
> > >
> > > file on their own).
> > >
> > > When opening a file in EFM, if that mimetype has not been opened
> > > previously you will be given a list of apps that support that
> mimetype
> > >
> > > and a list of all apps as well just in case.  Once you have chosen
> an
> > >
> > > app, EFM remembers this and will use that app until you pick a
> > > different
> > > app by using Open With.  So for now we have our own methods of
> doing
> > > this, but if it does become a specification it may be good to
> adopt
> > > this
> > > as it would help with those doing packaging and distribution.
> >
> > Where EFM store the user preference, is it possible to others to
> access
> > this data?
> > I think we need a centralised way to keep this information, or the
> user
> > need to choose a preferred application for every apps/module that
> need
> > to open a filemanager or a browser.
> > I know this is not a standard yet. But this doesn't mean we can't
> have
> > our method to storing this user preference.
> >
> > I have also done a module that add a configuration dialog to set
> your
> > preferred apps. Its very simple, but it make no sense if there are
> > not a shared place to store the informations.
> > Don't you think this is a must have module??
> >
> > So IMHO we need to define witch is the E way to store the
> mime/application
> > associations, and have the code in some lib (maybe not efreet for
> now).
> > In this way we can have all the apps/module work the same way and we
>
> > can also change the lib to fit a final freedesktop standard without
>
> > touching modules.
> > If we don't do this now all the apps/modules will do the
> associations
> > in a different way and when the fdo standard will become a reality
> we
> > need to redo everything.
>
> well within e it's easy - there are calls to find this info, but
> outside of e +
> modules it's buried deep in e's own config somewhere. now how do we
> want to do
> this?
>
> 1. config everyone cal look at
> OR
> 2. "opening service". e.g. a dbus call- u send an array (list) of file
> paths
> and say "open them please" - e will open them for you. this way you
> also
> recycle the exec method and child process tracking etc. if the target
> file is a
> directory - it opens a directory window, etc.

The #2 is powerfull but will work only if E is running, and this is bad
for applications, that should work also outside E.

I prefer the #1, put the config where everyone can look...what about
the defaults.list file ? ;) (it's not yet a fdo standard, but it's a
simple and clear way to store the info)