On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:03:28 -0200 "Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> >>   - delay heavy operations before dialog is displayed. So far it
> >> takes
> >> a lot to show the window, which is very bad. (Some other E dialogs
> >> are
> >> like that, mainly those that deal with freedesktop.org .desktop
> >> files)
> >
> > Yes I know, exchange block the mainloop while dowloading and parsing the xml
> > file. very bad. I'm working for a new nonblocking approach, will be up asap.
>
> if xml is big, you can send it to a thread... I guess libxml has no
> problems with that, just be sure to use no EFL calls there (including
> eina for now).

parsing the xml file probably isnt the problem. it's (last i looked) use for
curl which does a blocking dnslookup on the url (and i tried to find a way to
turn this off in curl and make it async like core_con does - but it can;t) as
well as the actual download.

mind you - i am still a little bemused by the use of xml. since both client and
server are written by the same "team" and are tightly tied together - is there
any reason for needing a complex/heavy "standard"? a simple newline delimited
text file would work just as well with less effort for example, or as below -
eet would too. i am not saying to change it - i am just curious "why xml?"

> BUT, why not use EET for files?! That would explore the potential of
> this nice format! And it should be faster, as well.

at least you'll get guaranteed compression :)