On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:20:10 -0200 andres <andresbl...@gmail.com> babbled:

> IMO a screenshot thumbnail is of little use to see how your desktop would
> look. I suggest using a close-up of the main elements shelf, menu, window
> border and some widgets.
>
> A mix of what get-e.org [1] and art.gnome.org [2] do.
>
> [1] http://www0.get-e.org/Themes/E17/_images/23oz.jpg
> [2] http://art.gnome.org/images/thumbnails/gtk2/GTK2-Cillop-Th.png
>
> If size is an issue we can replicate art.gnome.org which takes little space
> and add a window border to it.

that was the point of a programmatically-generated "theme thumbnail" where it
takes obvious and common elements of a theme (wallpaper, menu, border, some
widgets and a dialog with stuff in it, shelf etc.) crams them into a small
preview with a fixed setup and then scales that down to maybe 1/2 res or 1/4
res. (eg a 512x512 "setup" thumbaniled to 128x128 0 when you browse the
"preview" will show not the stored thumb but the full dynamic layout that was
used to generate the thumb - with all animations etc.intact)