Gustavo wrote:

>> No way man! Dropshadow is neat.
>>

> first time I saw it, before composite managers where born, I said
> "cool", but nowadays it's very lame, even windows do proper shadows!
> :-/

   Last time I checked, composite was still somewhat unreliable.
Argb visuals are ideal, but small devices so far tend to be limited.
For those kinds of applications, Carsten's "bg-only" shadows are
likely the best bet there. For more flexible systems there's a lot
more one could do.

   Mind you, evas, edje, and friends should be better able to deal
with these kinds of things, rather than the current wm-only stuff
that's there. You want to be able to have such things (and others)
as part of the rendering engine and api/declarative/scripted system.

   Given the current overall state of 'gfx', I'd say it's largely
a waste of time to attempt rendering engines based on other than
software-argb32 and gl-shaders. Xrender is largely good only for
compositing, some others are just as limited, and the 16bpp engines
are a dead-end for anything other than simple image blits and solid
color fills.

   Apple captured a huge market largely because they dared to push
the bleeding edge of gfx use in guis and made a system which could
support that.
   Sexy "eye-candy", good gfx design, and "cinematic" like interfaces
will capture interest and attention. And most of these things can be
done efficiently even with moderate systems. But still, you have to
push the systems.. not the other way around.

Earn your associate's criminal justice degree and start your career training
today.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTKKZrp3bzN9qs4im97c063mpEepL7kysvNPea5MQKXE0gYtgFrJXS/