On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Viktor Kojouharov<vkojouha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 15:52 -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Viktor Kojouharov<vkojouha...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I don't consider the  viewer to be neither broken nor old. I still use
>> > it whenever I need to take a peek at edj files.
>>
>> it's not broken now because I keep fixing it, but really I gave up on
>> it as I'm not using it anymore. All features are present in
>> edje_editor and even more is there. Also, it uses etk and no one is
>> maintaining it (last patches were made by me), I plan to deprecate etk
>> soon, probably after Canola and other pieces (ie: Edje_Editor) moves
>> to Elementary or something else, so the less code we have depending on
>> it, the better.
> I'm planning on moving edje_viewer to elementary, whenever I have some
> spare time to do so.

don't just port, fix it please! It's broken in a sense one would not
expect, and not the best design ever... for example, the EDJE editor
do not use EDJE, or at least not to the leven one would expect: those
frames around the objects are nasty hand-written evas smart objects! I
was upset when I read its code, really... Edje_Editor is well done
with that regard, if you move it to elementary it would benefit both
viewers and writers, and it should be easier to port! :-)

> And since when was our policy to deprecate stuff,
> just because there is other stuff in the repository with can present
> similar results?

because it's unmaintained, not because other projects... and it's more
code to port to new changes, what is bad.

Again, don't take it too hard, we're moving and not deleting it. It
will just not get as much as "publicity"  being at top level, but it
will be good, it will give stuff that work and is maintained more! And
will scare users less, when they look at SVN and see that half of
existing projects are non working or not a good reference to use :-/

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems