On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 03:53:15PM +0200, Daniele Venzano wrote:
> Hello,
> In the coming months I'm going to start a new project for my company based on
> evas + ecore (no widget library). It will use the Linux framebuffer driver
> and
> run on an ARM embedded system.
> For various reasons we will have to offer the possibility to remote the
> display
> through the net via the VNC protocol.
>
> In the past we had hacked microwindows/nano-X with libvncserver to add said
> support. I'm willing to do something similar again, if it has not already
> been
> done, and share back the patch for an eventual inclusion in mainstream.
>
> So, did someone already thought or wrote some code about VNC support ?
> If not, how would you go about it ? The library basically needs a copy in
> memory of the framebuffer. Then every area that is modified needs to be
> passed
> to the library. There are pointer and keyboard events coming in from the
> other
> side that should be passed as if they where generated locally.
> Probably ecore should be modified, but before starting to dig inside ecore
> and
> evas sources I prefer to ask to people with better understanding of EFL.
>
> Thank you.
>
> (Sorry if you receive this mail twice, my wrong)

I am using a modified version of http://fbvncserver.sourceforge.net/ on
my arm system running in framebuffer. It is useable, but slow.  Writing
an real vnc engine for evas *will* make it much faster as you dont have
to monitor the whole framebuffer for changes. I am unsure on how you can
render to a vnc engine *and* the fb engine (or some other backend) at
the same time. You still want to be able to use the framebuffer while
device it's being remoted, right?

Regards
Lars Munch