On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:51:31 +0700 Mikhail Gusarov <dotted...@dottedmag.net>
said:

> Twas brillig at 21:48:09 17.08.2009 UTC+10 when ras...@rasterman.com did gyre
> and gimble:
>
>  CHR> wait - so its actually being psychotic with a palette like:
>  CHR> 0xffffff
>  CHR> 0x000000
>
> Right now driver exposes linear values as you'd expect (though I've seen
> controllers which wanted pixel values to be put to upper bits of the
> bytes) I just pointed out that treating StaticGray as no-palette visual
> breaks the abstraction and can cause bugs when underlying software
> changes.

yes and no. at least the docs indicate it's a ramping transition in values - we
can shortcut and avoid a palette lookup to improve speed. there's correct and
then there's fast :) being fast is almost always about giving up some
correctness for shortcuts :) i favor speed myself - as sure, there may be
pathological cases.. but the percentage that you run into them... let's say is
really small. i'll take my speedup in 99% of cases and then just make faces and
poke my tongue out at the 1% of pathological nasties :)