On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:26:05 +0700 Mikhail Gusarov <dotted...@dottedmag.net>
said:

> Twas brillig at 00:17:36 18.08.2009 UTC+10 when ras...@rasterman.com did gyre
> and gimble:
>
>  CHR> but with only 16 real shades (gain you'll have to make assumptions
>  CHR> about this - or at least have a converter per display type - eg 64
>  CHR> colors (6bit) but only 16 levels (4bit) significant)m you'll want
>  CHR> to dither to make images look half-way decent
>
> I'm not sure it is good idea to dither whole window, as opposed to
> dither only images. This may create noise on the edges of images.
>
> I'll try dithering again a bit later - no time for it right now.

it only might create such noise if the dithering were floyd-steinberg. evas
adopts fixed dithering via a fixed matrix (of configurable size. 2 sizez are
build into evas - choice at compile time, 4x4 or 128x128. the 128x128 looks
like floyd-steinberg but is just gaussian randomised ordered dithering in a
large matrix to hide the regularity :)) as long as u have real black and real
white - these won't get dithered. to be honest with 16 levels u likely will
notice the dithering much less given the dpi u have. it likely will vanish. u
know tat evas dithers 16bpp by default - if u have used evas in 16bp - u will
not even notice its dithered - it looks as good as 24bpp unless yu literally
magnify in deply