I installed xine and emotion.

xine required a small tweak - my default libtool wasn't working, I
replaced [xine-src-dir]/libtool with a copy of /usr/bin/glibtool. Then
it compiled and installed fine I think.

Emotion found xine, compiled and installed.

When I run
   emotion_test [movie-file.mp4]

I get these errors:
Xlib:  extension "DPMS" missing on display "/tmp/launch-GriZ1I/org.x:0".
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-GriZ1I/org.x:
0".
module : xine
No backend loaded

The Xlib errors maybe nothing to worry about.

Don't understand 'no backend loaded'.