On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Christopher Michael
<cpmicha...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/24/2010 11:57 AM, Mathieu Taillefumier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   sorry for this big delay, but here it is. All modules uses now log domains
>> for returning messages. I tested the patch for several weeks without any
>> problems and the diff was made starting from the latest version so I do not
>> expect that the patch will cause too much problems when/if applied.
>>
>> The changes are fairly simple. It consisted mostly to define an individual
>> log
>> domain for each modules that did not already included such method. I also
>> fixed
>> a memory leak in the msgbus module which defined a log domain at the wrong
>> place but did not release the resources when terminated.
>>
>> Finally, I did not touch to the illume modules since there is a comment in
>> the
>> code that says that eina_log slows since down on embedded devices. If this
>> comment does not hold anymore I will do the conversion otherwise I let them
>> in
>> the original form.
>>
> Thanks for not adding it to illume modules :) I don't use the eina_log
> functions there for several reasons. If I need to debug or output any
> info there, I just use simple printfs as the eina_log functions are just
> overkill for what I need :)

eina log will have very minimal cost, particularly to the places we
will use it. One of the proofs of this is that eina, the core library
used everywhere, already uses it and NOBODY ever noticed a slowdown...
it is used extensively in stringshare, array and even list, yet nobody
measured any slowdown.

Let's also remember that it is possible to compile out these messages
using the same technique in eina (maximum log level), just define a
value and compile with optimization, compilers will remove the block
and checking completely.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems