On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Tom Hacohen
<tom.haco...@partner.samsung.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:05 -0300, Iván Briano (Sachiel) wrote:
>> I think it's a very bad example, considering glib is an outside dependency.
>> On the other hand, given the amount of functions in the EFL that return an
>> Eina type, having your app break because you were not explicily initializing
>> it,
>> in the case of it being dropped, is probably the least of your worries.
>>
>> Yes, I agree that sometimes it's better to be explicit, but generalizing
>> every
>> case is not always a good idea.
>
> Like I said a couple of emails back: I'm not sure about this specific
> case, because eina is VERY depended on through all of efl. I was just
> saying (like as you just said) that sometimes (most of the times) it's
> better to be explicit.
>
> And yes, I agree glib+ecore wasn't a good example, that's why I changed
> it to ewebkit+glib :P

Still not good. There's a difference of relying on some component initializing
a library because it uses internally, and initializing it because it's
also giving
you back stuff from it. In the first case, yes, relying on that and not being
explicit can cause you problems in the future, but for the second, even if
Ecore can be built without Evas, ecore_evas_init() is pretty much guaranteed
to init Evas as well, unless something is very wrong somewhere. So being
explicit or not depends on you knowing what you are doing, which doesn't
necessarily imply that you know the internals of what you are using.