On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:33:12 -0200 Lucas De Marchi
<lucas.demar...@profusion.mobi> said:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:22:35 +0200 Tom Hacohen
> > <tom.haco...@partner.samsung.com> said:

> >> I suggested that some time ago, and IIRC even raster liked it (I can
> >> look for the exact email if that's really needed), so I don't see a
> >> reason why not.
> >>
> >> Maybe you should start a new mail and ask about it specifically.
> >
> > i'm against them being always turned on by default. if you make
> > --enable-warnings or whatever... then whats the point? you can just as
> > easily set CFLAGS="-W...". it's less work and already works today. you dont
> > have to go touching every configure script.
>
> It works for you. Do you see you are giving yourself more work by
> fixing other's warnings?

not really. patches and work can be rejected on the basis of warnings. we just
havent done so yet. also forcing people to make things warning free encourages
people to cast themselves into oblivion as opposed to fix the real issue quite
often. its better to have warnings than to go hide them via casting (when the
real solution isnt a cast)

> And if it's only an architectural issue, the warnings are pretty easy
> to fix. At least the ones that are worth enabling by default.

and by not using -Werror u dont force anyone to fix any warning. so unless you
use -Werror your above point is fairly moot. most of e's src had warnings in it
until a warning hunt WITHOUT any -W options (just standard gcc warnings). they
never got fixed. reason? people just ignore them. u dont get them fixed unle4ss
you are dedicated enough to go fix them (and then u are dedicated enough to add
them to CFLAGS) or... you use -Werror and force builds to break. and then see
nash's point.