All,

I've not been around here long enough to know/care _where_ tests are located.
Nor have I studied the tests in question (so I probably don't know what I'm
talking about :-) )

However I have been a developer long enough to know that ideally all tests
should be self contained.
Tests should never rely on arbitrary existing env. variables and ideally not on
the presence of any subsystems that the build env doesn't already need to know
about.

If it is possible for a test to work, it should work.  Low-level function level
tests can often be platform independent and self-contained, higher level tests
can often use a loop-back approach. Tests which rely on special environments
outside the source code should be skipped if those environments are not
available.

Graphics based tests should (in this case) be rendered in a software renderer
and output images (png etc) compared to a reference image for Pass/Fail tests.

Tests which rely on humans to pas/fail them are useful for quick debugging but
are not helpful as part of an automated regression testing process.

IMHO tests should either PASS or be automatically SKIPPED they should never
FAIL.

my 0.02c worth

Now I suppose I should study the tests, but probably only after I've looked at
simplifying the build process.

cheers
Kim