On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:14 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote :
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:28:20 +0100 Albin Tonnerre <lu...@debian.org> said:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:11 +0100, Vincent Torri wrote :
> > > tests are for developpers, not packagers
> >
> > That is terribly wrong. Packagers care about testsuites for one simple
> > reason:
> > as thoroughly as developers may be testing the code, that will never
> > guarantee
> > proper behaviour on the system on which the code is built.
> >
> > When creating packages for Debian, I /do/ care about the testsuites because
> > the testsuite not failing is the only reliable thing telling me the lib is
> > not
> > utterly broken on the system it is being built on.
> >
> > I understand users not listening or unwilling to fix the suite to fit their
> > needs is a pain, but let's not make it an even greater pain for people who
> > just want to use it and manage to. Things have improved a lot as far as
> > packaging is concerned in the last months, and this is clearly a step
> > backwards.

> tests are for developers so when
> they modify code they can check they didn't break anything. packagers can't do
> much with a test suite.

At the very least, they can notice the testsuite is failing and investigate
possible issues (and report them when/if approriate).

> does the linux kernel have a test suite that is run
> when people build packages? does xorg have one? i can continue with the list.
> they don't.

Glibc does have one. GCC has one. And they do find bugs - especially tricky,
architecture-specific ones.

> any test suites are part of the development cycle not the packaging
> cycle, but as they are in the sr4c tree, some gentoo devs seem to think that
> they should work as part of their ebuild (which is packaging). this is not the
> case.

Are you purposedly ignoring my point here? I just explained why those suites are
useful in the process of building packages. And not only to Gentoo devs, since
I've been using them pretty much since they've been around. Besides, moving them
away from src/ is basically making them harder for just about everyone, not just
packagers.

As bored as you might be by some people's behaviour, this is wrong. I think you
did get your point across fairly clearly, but let's be realistic: you're not
doing anyone - not even yourself - a favour by moving the tests away.

Cheers,
--
Albin Tonnerre