On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:52:52 -0800
Michael Jennings <m...@kainx.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 21 December 2010, at 08:37:01 (+0900),
> Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>
> > i'd say no - why change what works just to make the shell script shorter by
> > a bit? michael already made a point - you will get the M. by changing this
> > you:
> >
> > 1. risk breaking things where grep isn't a full gnu grep
> > 2. change the numbers to include things that were filtered out before
> >
> > for what gain? some "shell script purity"? no. i say no. it works. it's been
> > tested widely by now. don't break it. there is no gain in changing it.
It should be changed because using grep + awk + printf + tr when we could use a
single sed is stupid and makes us look stupid.

> No, the version I supplied does NOT contain the 'M' and has been
> extensively tested across multiple projects including the spec files
> in our own SVN tree.  Joerg was the one who erroneously claimed that
> the 'M' would remain, but he was wrong.  All it includes is the first
> number output by "svnversion."
>
> I'm not pushing for or against; just supplying information.
>
> Michael

As the above states, that sed line is both portable, tested, and functional,
and makes a fine replacement.

--
Mike Blumenkrantz
Zentific: We run the three-legged race individually.