On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:19:23 +0100 Lionel Orry <lionel.o...@gmail.com> said:

Hmmm... ok - time to chime in.

1. i'm kind of worried how any such efl manual and doxygen docs will work
together. as such doxy is pretty much the best/only way to document an API (we
dont use it for documenting the code - we use it to document how to use the
library API). so some extent such an efl manual is already crossing paths with
the doxygen docs.

2. i understand why kim was going for OO. it is actually an open format and we
have good tools to work with it. i know just why. i've been here before. i've
tried tex, html, and doxygen docs and frankly - the only thing that produced a
nice professional OUTPUT was using OO - when you have to include diagrams,
screenshots and so on in-line with the text talking about it along with code
samples PLUS the output screenshots, diagrams and so on as you go, OO really
begins to show why it's the better tool. all the suggestions on "asciidoc",
"markdown", etc. etc. are great if all docs are is big blobs of plain
undecorated text. reality is that most of our toolkits and libs focus on
graphical things and as such we will need lots of graphics as mentioned above -
laid out not just as single images maybe on a page with "see fig 1." in the
text etc, but properly layout out and anchored to the text talking about them
with multiple images in different alignments, locations, multiple per page and
so on. even IF text based docs can do this - having to compile them and re-load
them and go find the thing you just tried to lay out vis some cryptic text
commands looks right, is a royal pain in the behind and makes life slow and
cumbersome. i'd agree with kim's choice here mostly as i've been there and
found these problems and ended up with the best choice being OO.

that leads to #1. as such developers do hate having to fire up OO to document
things. but as such the things they document are in text anyway - in the source
in javadoc. what i want to know is.. how will these api docs and such a larger
"efl collective" doc work together?  do we perhaps want a way to be able to
import the output of doxygen into such a document nicely? if so.. what about
links? doxygen does generate nice linked documentation where you just mention
api_call() and it's a link to the docs for that call immediately.