On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:13:25 +0100 Thomas Gstädtner <tho...@gstaedtner.net>
said:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 13:34, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Thomas Gstädtner
> > <tho...@gstaedtner.net> wrote:

> >> There are some proper ways to handle this:
> >> 1) Install to ${PREFIX}/share/${APPLICATION}/ and let the
> >> packager/distribution link to /etc/xdg/...
> >> 2) Install to ${PREFIX}/share/doc/${APPLICATION}/ and let the
> >> user/packager/distribution copy it to /etc
> >> 3) Use E's wizard to put it in ~/.local/share/xdg or wherever this
> >> stuff resides on a per-user base. This also would allow to use a
> >> menu-editor.
> >>
> >> 3 can be used in combination with 2 or 1.
> >
> > Actually it is /etc/xdg/menus/${XDG_MENU_PREFIX}applications.menu
> > (/etc/xdg being the standard, but you can override with
> > $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS as well). The XDG_MENU_PREFIX is generally set by DE,
> > like gnome-, kde-4.4 and similar.
> >
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/ar01s02.html
> >
> > It should be always possible to edit per-user as the spec states that
> > user-local replaces the global if it exists.
> >

> That's exactly what I mean.
> The goal should be to provide the xdg menu as a file and install it
> into ${PREFIX}/share where such data should be.
> Then the user can decide if he wants to use it as global menu and copy
> it to /etc, or the packager can check if another package is installed
> that already provides an /etc/xdg/applications.menu and can put it
> there if not.
> As I said, additionally the E's wizard could provide the menu for the
> user if no global config exists or if the user wishes to, this way it
> works for everybody, allows the user whatever to do whatever he wishes
> (what imho always was E's philosophy), while not making any
> interaction necessary - also the distributor can chose what he thinks
> is best for his user (while not robbing him of the possibility to
> still do whatever he wants).

installing into PREFIX/share/... is pretty useless. a packager can just provide
their OWN menu file as part of the package if thats what you want to do. that's
the current situation. it belongs in SYSCONFDIR/xdg/menus - it mean that by
default is stays entirely within PREFIX so its a predictable and containable
install AND e can work out of the box. secondly we should call it
enlightenment-applications.menu. it won't overwrite or interfere with any menu
files that may be in the menu dir where e installs AND e will offer it as an
option on start and int is menu config dialog. the user can link ot copy it
into /etc/xdg/menus or whatever.