On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:48:06 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> reducing # of enignes is simply trying to fit our
> work into our manpower and if every new engine feature requires you
> have to read up 16 gfx api's and implement it 16 times in so many
> engines... then we just don't have the manpower. right now we can
> just about support 2. software and OpenGL. pretty much because both
> are "universal" and thus easily accessible. even that is "significant
> work".

I'll get on topic soon, just need to take a short detour.

My client finally got around to actually paying for the embedded
project, so I'm looking at the alternatives.  EFL I want to use for
sure.

I know in the past you said "use X, it does everything and saves you a
lot of pain".  Except most of the pain you mentioned is already a
solved problem with the last project, or irrelevant to either project.
Though the pain of getting X compiled for my system still remains.
Lots of packages, lots of dependencies.  X just looks like more trouble
than it's worth.

The old project used a combination of libsvga and ncurses, I
really want to get away from both (inherited that old project, so not
my choice). Using plain old fb with EFL looks very attractive right now.

Soooo, back to the topic at hand -

What's the state of fb support in evas, and is it likely to be killed?