i'm glad we got to this point =)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:26:44 +0900 "Sung W. Park" <sung...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> ok - accounting for some of the comments so far... her'es my take :)
> (finally)! :)
>
> 1. you use evas_object_image_pixels_dirty_set(). this is actually intended
> work with the image pixel provider to ONLY provide new pixels IF the image
> is
> visible and needs drawing. it marks it dirty.. but won't call your pixel
> provider until render time and IF the object needs the new pixels. as such
> the
> timer_cb should JUST set the dirty flag and then in the pixel PROVIDER...
> call
> draw_gl(); at least then invisible objects would stop drawing themselevs
> and
> spining using cpu/gpu resources. :)

2.  just in general.. use animators.. not timers. timers is the "wrong" way
> do animating. sure - they work, but animators all tick off at the same time
> at
> the same framerate :)

for 1 & 2, it was a quick fix to get the gears running.  with lack of
documentation
and all, it was a quick way to get them up and running. i'll take a look at
them.  =)

> 3. you allow a standard gl api to be used. glEnable(), glBegin() etc. etc.
> etc.
> - this is going to probably cause "symbol hell" and make it hard to wrap. i
> really thing all these should become something like:
>
> api = evas_gl_api_get();
>
> api->glEnable(...);
> api->glBegin();
> etc. etc.
>
> ie the evas_gl infra provides SPECIFIC calls you call - these may simply be
> the
> exact gl symbols exposed, or wrappers created by evas.
>
> another "Style" would be:
>
> evas_gl_glEnable(...);
> evas_gl_glBegin(...);
>
> ie expose 1 func in the evas api per gl func to wrap. this is less
> "dynamic"
> than the first one, but more "familiar".

I do prefer the first option and i actually have an API in the header that's
commented
out.  I was thinking that maybe we should start out with what I have there
and then progress
towards this direction.  Your thoughts?

> 4. the example include gl headers:
>
> e.g.:
> #include <GLES2/gl2.h>
> #include <GL/gl.h>
>
> etc.
>
> as such i think Evas_GL.h should provide everything the app needs gl-wise
> in a
> portable way. they don't need top figure out gl vs gles etc. it also should
> just stick to the gles subset of gl (gles2 + some pre-made shaders to make
> it a
> bit more convenient like gles1.1 for fixed-function stuff).
>
> That's a good idea but I guess a user can be annoyed with not having the
standard
GL functions?  This would solve the glBindFramebuffer(...,0) issue though =)

> 5. what on earth are we going to do about runtime shader compiling? gles2
> problem. it may not provide shader compilers at runtime. shall we just
> agree to
> say "if your system doesnt provide runtime shader compiling, then it's
> insuffcient". ? what about shader binary readback? (store the compiled
> binary
> shader).
>
> i haven't had to deal with this issue so i don't know what would be the
best
approach but I think it's not a bad idea to say that it's insufficient =)

can you elaborate on the shader readback?

finally, how would you like me to proceed at this point?  I can make some of

the minor code changes that you've suggested earlier and submit another
set of patches for review and work progressively in terms of glapi and other
features.  let me know.

cheers,
Sung