On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:17:07 +0200 (CEST) Vincent Torri <vto...@univ-evry.fr>
said:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:57:30 +0200 (CEST) Vincent Torri
> > <vto...@univ-evry.fr> said:

> >> I've looked a bit at the xcf code. Why are you doing a binary and not a
> >> lib ? (having an init, shutdown, head and data functions)
> >
> > 1. its the old xcf loader code from imlib2_loaders, so its inheriting fluff
> > 2. GPL. making it a lib makes it a GPL lib and anything linking to it
> > becomes GPL. making an executable avoids the GPL problem. thats WHY i
> > mentioned PDF and PS - epdf has a GPL problem.
>
> i thought that with shm_open, we could avoid that problem, even with a
> lib. But it seems it's not the case.

no. if you link, then both the code and data for the GPL stuff shares the
memory space of the rest of the lib (evas) and thus also the app using evas.
thus.. GPL leaks through. as a separate process that dumps dumb data into a
temporary file (that it mmaps - be it a shm "file" or a real one) or a
pipe/stream, then they share no memory space with the app.

> >> Also, maybe you could add a library that implment common code. I think
> >> about shm_alloc and shm_free, that are (almost) not related to the loader.
> >> (shm_alloc needs the name of the loader, and one would have to apss a
> >> pointer for the stored values like shm_fd, etc...)
> >
> > when/if time permits. right now there is just 1 binary there. when there
> > are 2 i might make the code common and compiled into both. there is little
> > point for a shared lib at this stage as the shared code is infinitesimal
> > and any savings in not duplicating it are lost in multiple separate pages
> > for the code and symbols and so on. :)
>
> not a shared lib. a static lib (a .la, which is not installed, and we link
> against it, like we do with sub parts of evas for example).

can do - that.. once it becomes useful to do it. ie.. when there is > 1
binary :)