On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:41:27 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:23:16 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:15:53 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:27:24 +0200 Andreas Volz
> > > <li...@brachttal.net> said:
> > >
> > > for almost all soc's these days a linux port is a done deal. even
> > > older ones. the problem is things like gpu - if you want or need
> > > one. how good will that be? thats still to this day the poorest
> > > supported bit of an soc. often on older ones all u get, IF u can
> > > get source for their gles drivers is a poorly ported driver with
> > > lots of things not finished and left up to you, and even with
> > > lots of lurking bugs/gotchas. if you dont want x11 then u'd have
> > > to do a little work on making a gl_fb engine (gl_x11 but minus
> > > the x11 windowing bits and just raw gles/egl on fb).
> >
> > Don't think he mentioned gl at all.
>
> he doesnt need to mention it - he needs it if he wants high resolution
> rendering with lots of scaling, blending etc. AT high speed...
> software only goes so far. gl is not a "requirement" one should list
> - its a means to an end: "fast rendering".

He did not mention that either, in fact what he did mention seemed to
go in the opposite direction -

> - flat board possible to mount on back of (included) display (~5-8")
> - X or framebuffer output for one single fullscreen process
> - enough memory to run OS + EFL + small application
> - less CPU usage needed (enough for simple animations)

<snip>

> All what I found was not tiny enough from board size and offered
> better (more expensive) hardware than I need.

Don't sound like he's wanting to do much high resolution or high speed
rendering.  Sounds more like my current project.  Sometimes a slow
processor, with minimal RAM, and software rendering on a simple frame
buffer are all you need.

If, as you say, gl is that much work, then he would need to consider if
he actually needs it, not just let it go without saying.  Same with me,
I did not need X, I did not need GL, I don't even need directFB so those
are things I do not have to worry about for my project.  It's all
working fine on software driven fb with much less effort.

The older generation of gumstyx might work for him, it comes with E17
as the default window manager, so you know it runs EFL and Linux.  Only
reason I'm not using those in my current project is that the client
wanted VGA output.  Just like Andreas, my client is having a hard time
sourcing stuff that is not just way overpowered for the application.