On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 22:22, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:12:22 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:00 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 04:14:55 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>> > <barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:
>> >
>> > going to have to kill off your dbus idea. reality is the pa dbus api is
>> > experimental (testing branch). i'm staring here at ubuntu 11.04 - no
>> > pulseaudio dbus service. as jeff said:
>> >
>> > <jeffdameth1> k-s: i heard the dbus interface is in a testing branch that
>> > will be merged with pulseadio 1.0. so this will take some time until
>> > adopted
>> >
>> > so... the only way to make it work is via the internal protocol - bare
>> > metal. unless you want to wait 2 years for it to stabilize, be adopted,
>> > released and actually on most peoples distributions. :) hands up those
>> > people who really desire to delay e17 release until then? :)
>> >
>> > yes the mapping of pa channels to the mixxer channels was cumbersome. i
>> > fixed it up to "work" and thus the id + 1 thnig so null (id 0) channels
>> > dont break stuff. as such the mixer infra doesn't quite cover everything
>> > pulse does, so really u'd need an alternate ui and infra setup. you can
>> > share the same gagdte and popup slider, but the rest would need to be
>> > different.
>>
>> PA 1.0 was released today... and what a shame WE avoiding projects
>> just because they were not released, in that sense people should still
>> avoid Elm and E17? :-)
>
> totally different things. we implemented PA support not because we want to..
> but because we HAVE to. it is FORCED on us as a result of distributions
> shipping with PA all enabled and if we ignore it, some people end up with
> muted
> audio, no matter how much you fiddle with alsa mixers. so our job is to
> support
> the PA that *IS* there NOW, so we don't end up with large numbers of users
> going "when I use E my audio is broken".

> The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    ras...@rasterman.com

Ok, let's get realistic:
_If_ e17 should go stable later this or early next year, it will take
a while until distros include it in their trees at all, lat alone
stabilize it (for the distros that maintain stable branches).
So here's a list of the major distros including a) the current release
with its PA version b) the first release e17 could be included in
should it be release in the next 6 months c) the first release that
will have PA with dbus support

Debian
a) stable/squeeze: PA 0.9.21 b) unstable/sid: PA 0.9.23 c) unkown
(likely not before 7.0, but then again, e17 won't make it either.)

Fedora
a) f15: PA 0.9.22 b) f16: PA 0.9.23 c) unknown (probably fast-tracked
to f16, more likely coming in f17)

Gentoo
a) current: PA 0.9.23 b) ~testing: PA 1.0 c) ~testing (PA 1.0 will be
stable before EFL, let alone e17)

OpenSuse
a) 11.4: PA 0.9.22 b) 12.1: PA 0.99/1.0 c) 12.1 (next release will be
early 2012 and include PA 1.0)

Ubuntu
a) 11.04: PA 0.9.22 b) 11.10: PA 0.99/1.0 c) 11.10 (upcoming release
will include PA1.0)

In conclusion: even if the e17 release happens very soon, it will not
be included in any stable tree this year, and very likely not even
next year. In the non-stable trees, of the major distros Ubuntu,
OpenSuse, Gentoo all already have PA 1.0 (or a 0.99 prerelease) and
likely have it stabilized before 2012. Fedora might, as they usually
stabilize core-packages much more quickly than other distros, Debian
of course won't, but sid will have 1.0 support soon.

P.S.: List, please don't be insulted if I didn't include your distro,
it was not my goal to do you any psychological harm. I included those
5 because I assume that they are the original distros which cover the
largest userbase.