On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:56:03 -0400 Youness Alaoui
> <kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> said:
>
> > Because I bumped into the problem myself so of course I'll try to debug
> it,
> > and I didn't do it because you told me to. As for the fix, did you have a
>
> i can't order you to do anything - but you need to read what i wrote. as a
> summary, i said - help out and do things, instead of telling others what
> to do.
> if this had been done since the last major review of the todo list in
> march we'd be there already. you can tell others what to do all you like.
> they
> don't have to listen to a single word, just the same as you don't have to
> do
> anything either when i say "help out".

for sure, I was referring to "it wasn't part of the todo, it was part of
something I needed for myself".

> i'm using the release as a stick or a carrot to beat or bait people into
> helping out. i can't fire you or offer you a bonus or money, so those
> "normal"
> sticks and carrots are not able to be used, so i use a different one. i'm
> trying to use your own motivation for release. i wish your motivation would
> make you rise to the challenge rather than just have a "release or bust"
> view.
>
> open source works at a nuts and bolts level because people do things.
> projects
> start and move forward because someone does the hard yards. almost every
> open
> source project started life as a one-man project and it was that one man
> that
> got it up and running and to the point others might pitch in and scratch
> their
> itches or help even do things that are needed. it then became a team effort
> with no hard way to control the people working on it. projects offer
>  carrots
> in the following ways: 1. name attached to project for bragging rights, 2.
> the
> ability to influence, control etc. something. 3. the satisfaction of a "job
> well done" in the end (seeing what u slaved on going gold), 4. if u are
> lucky
> the project may create a way to generate income from it for yourself. the
> sticks available are: 1. shaming people into doing things (guilt trips
> etc.),
> 2. ejection from privileges (like commit access, banning from irc, removal
> from
> mailing lists etc.). that's about it.
>
> i'm trying to use both a stick and a carrot. i'm trying to get you to
> accept
> some of the blame for a bad e17 release if you are the one pushing for it,
> as
> well as then getting some credit if it's good. right now you are pushing
> for
> what i believe is a slightly premature action.

Yes, most OSS projects start that way or end up with someone leading the
project, making the big decisions, mostly because others respect his
skills/decisions rather than because he was elected.
The way I see it, people will only work on what they want, what motivates
them, and it's usually what they personally need. They will sometimes help
out, when asked, on something they don't use/care for, it depends on the
motivation. The motivation can come from either "I want the project to
succeed" or "this looks like an interesting challenge". For example, I
doubt people like doing tech support or triage in bugzilla, but they do it
for the sake of the project, they feel it's their responsability. As for
the sticks, I usually consider it to be "svn blame" :)

> > look? I'm not sure it's done properly, the 'needed' var seems a bit
> > overkill to do the check (didn't have time figure it out properly).
> Also, I
> > was wondering if there wouldn't be a better solution to do if no gadget
> is
> > resizable.
>
> yes i looked. that was the first thing i did. along with counting it as
> your first commit to e17according to logs. actually its "right" in that the
> logic is right - i was only testing when i had 1 gadget or more being
> autoscrollable - thus resizable. i didnt remember about "zero gadgets
> resizable" and thus maybe getting that loop. my bad there. i was making
> taskbar
> usable. i'm running it myself right now even though i really despise
> having it
> on my screen to make sure it at least "works for me" :)

I switched to itask to test it, so I guess I'll go back to taskbar now
since I belive it's the one that will get elected as being the stable one.
Yes, the logic is right, but the code is not clean enough in my opinion,
there must be a better way to handle that case.
(also, other than that usecase, you forgot to initialize the variable :p)