On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Hyoyoung Chang <hyoyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

>>> And how are you helping this? This just makes *LIB* authors lazier. To
>>> keep things without breaking:
>>>
>>>  - memory to be used must be >= current, so every time memory should
>>> increase size of class.
>>>  - existing members must be preserved at the binary/concept level.
>>> While you can easily rename stuff (human/compiler interface, not
>>> runtime), you cannot change the types (if callback, parameters or
>>> return).
>>>  - you cannot reorder the members
>>
>> Agreed on every thing.
>>
>>> If that is true, with the "allocation" you want, you just get the size
>>> to be bigger, so library can surely access:
>>>      cls->new_member_app_does_not_know_about
>>> Without worrying. If using the version size you'd have to do:
>>>      if (cls->vesion >= VERSION_APP_DOES_NOT_KNOW_ABOUT)
>>>          cls->new_member_app_does_not_know_about
>>> And they work as well!
>>>
>>> The second approach is more correct, as zero/NULL/false not
>>> necessarily is ignored by the library and may affect the behavior, so
>>> you would need to check it anyway in those cases.
>>>
>>> The first case is said to be more reliable as you allocated the memory
>>> and know what you access is true (sizeof() is guaranteed to be the
>>> same). But really, if we expose the macro you avoid these mistakes...
>>> unless the mistake is at library side (changed structure size without
>>> increasing version -- BAD BAD BAD BUG) or the user is cheating, user
>>> bug, he did on purpose and screw him.
>>
>> I now remember why ! If you allocate the structure yourself, you can
>> set all pointer to NULL. So when you are rebuilding an application, if
>> they don't touch the code and you added new functions pointers, they
>> will be zeroed. The version would have told you that the size of
>> structure is fine, but not that the user didn't properly initialize
>> it. This is why I prefer this solution, it's more robust over time. It
>> help us prevent API and ABI break. That's a must.
>
> In heart, i agree with API, ABI break is definitely bad things.
> But i can't get why it shouldn't be introduced.
>
> I also think this apis looks like half-baked.
> But I'm convinced genlist has mature architecture.
> Current genlist archtecture, there's no possible to add more view-able
> objects obtaining callbacks.
> Viewable objects is only two things - text and contents.
> If there's anything is added which can see, it's ground breaking
> change like as from E16 to E17.
> then API breaks are can't avoid.
> You can't put new wine in old bottles.
>
> And one more thing, I can justify why i choose to attach item class
> api to genlist.
> like some guys point out , genlist can be treated as a object.
> if then genlist item also can be a object in my thought

> [...]

okay, and what's missing now? Just do it for JS, as we do for python.
no big deal, you have to abstract this for different reasons anyway.

> Without any concerning without that item class is mapped with any item class,
> genlist item can any parts.
>
> In my humble opinion, i can say several advantages why it good to be merged.
> 1. static variable is only available in a file

so what? If you remove "static" they are available to multiple files
If you add EAPI it's even available to other libraries or applications
(not recommended tho).

> 2. item can be managed with the genlist lifetime. (such as allocated, freed)

so what? I'm saying that genlist item class should not be allocated --
that's the general rule, don't screw it. If needed you can, but often
people should NOT do it.

> 3. preventing crash caused by mis-allocated item class

ha ha. You're developing in C, you live with it. What you said will
not fix this problem automagically, if users get the wrong cast, or
use old/broken headers, the problem is there.

I'd like to finish this discussion, makes absolutely no sense to add this API.

Actually there are so many things broken in genlist, this is NOT one
of them. Instead of adding more stuff that will lead to misuse, what
about fixing the genlist bugs?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems