This looks pretty good!
I've been thinking that this could be used for applications as well, not
just for the init scripts. So I'm thinking of modifying exquisite into a
libexquisite (which the exquisite tool itself would use). It's basically
just about having a way of creating an exquisite (edje) object and
translating those IPC commands into API functions. I think it could be used
by apps for doing progress bars (with a sort of 'standard' edje specs) and
generic splash screens (for games loading levels and stuff like that).
What do you think ? Any suggestions before I start ?

KaKaRoTo