Lucas De Marchi <lucas.demarchi <at> profusion.mobi> writes:

> > While that would work in theory, it also requires one to have an
> > fdescfs mounted and still isn't very portable.  The renaming is
> > indeed a hack -- what I wonder is if it is worth keeping.  > > As
> > you noticed, any code path that calls stat() to verify if the file
> > > indeed exists would fail.

Why? The patch keeps the file created in /dev/shm, /tmp or whatever
around for longer than the lifetime of _create_tmpf() precisely to
make the stat() not fail.

> You'd need to investigate the code paths and refactor them: - If you
> receive an fd, stat(filename, ...) should not happen -> and the
> filename should be used for logging purposes and similar stuff.

That's what I am doing -- depending on how you view it,
evas_object_image_memfile_set() is just a hack to make
evas_object_image_file_set() work with memory addresses instead of
actual files, and it achieves that by creating a temporary file and
mmap()ing the memory addresses to that file. The rest of the codepath
is just evas_object_image_file_set() being called, so nothing needs to
change.

> Postponing the removal like you did IMO is a hack to fix another
> hack.  So, either do the same thing as in Linux (rename to something
> will continue to exist) or change all code paths.

Erm, that's what my patch does, I think :-)