On Sunday, September 2, 2012, Cedric BAIL wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On 01/09/2012, at 11:05, Nicholas Hughart <mek...@mekius.net<javascript:;>>
> wrote:

> >> Lol, don't read the code you'll probably get sick :P

> same
> they
> >>
> >> Yeah, I will eventually put askpass support back in for SSH/sudo. Not
> >> sure how gpg works.  Gnome may handle this via their keyring stuff which
> >> would also be storing the key.  We could extend empower to be such a
> >> keyring type library/application, but maybe wait until we have a number
> >> of apps actually using gpg keys?
> >
> > The key ring also stores passwords such as mail, irc, chat...
> >
> > We could check their API, maybe it's easy to just implement it with
> empower and eet and their stuff can use ours. Shouldn't be much more than
> "I'm this app and need password for account X", then give it back. The
> first part likely it's even over DBus, the second likely not due Security
> reasons (maybe a private bus or ssl socket)
>
> I am particularly suspicious about all current keyring implementation.
> I don't feel like they are securely saving my password. A first
> obvious requirement is to never swap nor save on suspend any password.
> My understanding is that we need to be root to request a non swappable
> memory. Detecting suspend shouldn't be a problem. The second point is
> that when I save my password for mail, irc, web, once unlocked I don't
> want it to be accessible from any other application. It is also
> problematic if the password transit through the dbus daemon, I hope
> they at least use the direct end to end connection for that purpose.

Paranoids just don't use it. Plain simple, it's optional. ;)

> If all my assertion are correct, implementing a keyring should be done
> in a root daemon. Application should directly connect to it through a
> direct socket and as long as they maintain that socket open the
> password they required will be available on request to the application
> (In an ideal case, application never store the password for any long
> period of time, they just request it, use it, wipe it out, and request
> it again later if needed). When a connection is established by an
> application, the daemon should talk to the user session somehow and
> ask if they allow that particular app to access that password. The
> composite manager should be able to make a visual difference on that
> particular request.

You're going crazy. There are other levels of security that should handle
that. Like encrypted swap. The Machine access security should be considered
as well

See chromium. They explicitly declined saving encrypted passwords reasoning
that if you care about it (iow: you'd set a main password) you'd be using
encrypted /home and would never allow someone to access your account
without supervision. Which is clearly okay.

> As far as I see it, it's not an easy task, and I seriously doubt it
> has been implemented correctly in any Freedesktop standard (as
> always...). But I may be wrong.

There is no standard. Kde and Gnome do their own stuff.

> --
> Cedric BAIL

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems