On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:00:43 +0400 Igor Murzov <e-m...@date.by> said:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:07:41 +0900
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:34:59 +0400 Igor Murzov <e-m...@date.by> said:

> > > That is not true. The crashes were also caused by bugs in E itself.
> >
> > and the code path triggered by a 3rd party module. i don't care if e's code
> > was to blame - it's a bug we DONT NEED TO FIX FOR RELEASE. making a release
> > is about prioritizing and cutting out stuff so you can get it done. this is
> > cutting out work on/elated to 3rd party code that inserts itself into e and
> > cand then do anything it likes. there is no protection or safety. it's not
> > possible to do actually (not for a module or plugin - it'd need to be pushed
> > into another process and that negates the benefits of a module then).
> >
> > > Also there are some patches on ML (including mine) that fix crashes
> > > in external modules, but no one cares enough to review them.
> >
> > see above. priorities. and believe it or not - we're pretty busy.
> >
> > > And this shitty warning-dialog has nothing to do with QA anyway.
> >
> > i suggest you tell the kernel developers that their tainted mssages are also
> > useless. they'd love to hear that.
>
> Useful messages should help to identify and fix bugs. And
> this warning dialog is to take off responsibility for extra
> modules, not to help with fixing bugs. So my point still
> stands.

helping to fix and identify bugs also means filtering out noise from the signal.

> In fact, when i install some alpha software, i do realize
> that there are some known bugs in it. When i install extra
> modules for alpha software, i do realize that there are may
> be some bugs. And poping up a window any time i load some
> module doesn't make me more careful or something.

tell that to the dozens upon dozens of people that have wasted my time
debugging a buggy 3rd party module. it's there because it has become a REAL
problem. the dialog box has an "i know" button. hit that and e NEVER complains
again. its JUST ONCE... if u hit "i know". it remembers and you can unload
and load that set of "approved" modules as much as u like and it never
complains again... until you load a new module u havent said "i know" to
before. perhaps you should just hit "i know". fact is enough people DON'T KNOW
and need to be told.