On 11/15/2012 04:40 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:05:51 +1030 Simon Lees <si...@simotek.net> said:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'll make a brief comment on this  not that it means much because i don't
>> have the time to implement my soln and you are the ones that would have to
>> deal with it. At work where i have a old OS on a distro i don't package for
>> or care about i build from source and use the forcasts and photo's module,
>> i haven't looked at the code for either so i have no idea what state they
>> are in but they both work for me on multiple systems so oneday i may
>> consider packaging them. I am yet to see the current waring as i can't
>> upgrade atm but if it was a once off with a checkbox saying don't show
> it is.
Cool,

>> again i would be happy enough if it came up every time like some of the
>> compositing errors i would not be, and i wouldn't package these modules in
>> a official repository.
> i'd suggest not packaging them anyway.
For now i wouldn't but if after the 0.17.0 if i or someone else did
enough work to get modules i use to a point where they work well and
could be included in the main tree without knowing how long until 0.17.1
is released or when people will stop working on 0.17.x and start on
0.18  which i believe will involve some considerable work and will
probably be a few years a way there may be reason to publish 3rd party
modules in the future.
Out of interest will e18 contain the ability to sandbox 3rd party
modules so they can't take down the whole of enlightenment? one of the
strengths i see in KDE for example is the number of 3rd party modules or
plasmoids there are available, they may not be suitable for everyone but
they are for enough people that its worth it. If e18 could encourage
developers to create 3rd party modules rather then discouraging them
with warning messages i think that would be yet another strength for
enlightenment. Obviously it maybe a lot of work and not something that
may happen until enlightenment 19 or 20 but its something i'd like to
see in the future

>> My prefered solution which probably isn't yours as it is slightly more work
>> for you would be to only show this popup in the segfault recovery popup if
>> 3rd party modules are loaded. "Something bad has happened, Enlightenment
> people don't read it - or only a few do. they just try and get rid of it
> asap. :) it also hapens to tell you your e is tainted with 3rd party modules
> here, but it tells u at the time the module is loaded too so you know which
> one
> it is.
>
>> has crashed. You are running 3rd Party modules this may be the cause". I
>> would also get enlightenment to create a "diagnostics file" for debugging
>> which would contain a list of loaded modules the compositor in use,
> this becomes way too invovled as the crash dialog is insanely thin and minimal
> not even using efl... it goes to x directly just in case its a core bug in efl
> somewhere. it knows very little about e at that point and giving it all this
> data is a huge amount of work and thats why we warn in advance - same way the
> kernel does in its output (dmesg etc.) when tainting it with proprietary
> modules.
Sorry i may not have been clear here i understand it wouldn't be
possible at the time of a crash, I was more thinking logging the
session,  when modules are loaded unloaded etc, possibly logging driver
configuration and important environment vars at start up. If such a
thing already exists let me know and i will start including it in bug
reports.
>> graphics driver potentially the screen layout and any other info that can
>> be gathered at startup and make it compolsory for bug reports to be
>> accompanied by this file. This would give you more useful info that a
>> inexperienced user may not be able to pin down but would be more effort to
>> start up.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon

Thanks again for your time and thought out responses
Cheers,
Simon