On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:33:18 -0500 yael aharon <yael.aharo...@gmail.com> said:

> Hello,
> I need to grab a snapshot of a window, which was created using openGL.
> evas_object_image_data_get returns NULL, since I am using a native surface
> in the window, and I could not find an equivalent for glGetTexImage in
> Evas_GL.h .
>
> Is there a way for me to get the image, either directly from the window, or
> using evas_gl ?
> thanks, Yael

wel evas_object_image_data_get only works on image objects - not windows. if
you used the native surface stuff - then there is no image "data" as the image
now points to a a type of data that is native to the display system - eg a
pixmap. "getting" image pixels then means you have to COPY them from the pixmap
- and so it's always slow (and it often requires reads from video ram which if
you have discrete gfx, can easily be 1/100th of the speed of a normal read from
ram), so in general its is HIGHLY advised not to do this as this is an awesome
point for performance loss.

if you really must grab a window... ecore_x_image stuff is a low-level x
specific api for grabbing image data (e17's shot module uses it), and it also
has infra for doing conversion from screen format/depth to argb.