On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:26:42 +0000
Sérgio Marques <smarque...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/12/11 Igor Murzov <e-m...@date.by>
>
> > This patch makes use of pgettext() function which is provided in gettext.h
> > The function has two arguments -- the first argument is a context
> > (arbitrary
> > string), the second one is a message itself. This allows translators to
> > have different translations for several equal messages depending on their
> > context.
> >
> > For example, in E the message "System" is used multiple times. But
> > sometimes
> > it is just "System" and should be translated as a noun, and sometimes it's
> > something like "System Themes" and should be translated as an adjective.
> > With the help of pgettext() it's possible to split off the second usecase
> > to its own part. Following example demonstrates the outcome for italian:
> >
> >   msgid "System"
> >   msgstr "Sistema"
> >
> >   msgctxt "System [noun]"
> >   msgid "System"
> >   msgstr "Sistemici"
> >
> > Here the context is "System [noun]" which means that the message will be
> > used as a part of a sentence like "System Themes" or "System Wallpappers".
> > Some more examples are provided below in the patch.
> >

> For what I understand everytime that appears  msgctxt "System [noun]" this
> is used for "System Theme/wallpaper..."

No, msgid is still the same. Context is just a hint for translators.
Context-dependent translation will allow you to have different
msgstrs for equal msgids.

> Is this correct? Cause for Portuguese we don´t use uppercase in these
> sentences. So everytime it appears I must translate it as lower case.

The message will be used in various import dialogs. It is paired
with "Personal" and the same style should apply:

  msgid "Personal"
  msgstr "Personali"

  msgctxt "System [noun]"
  msgid "System"