On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:50:04 +0900 Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > At the moment I'm looking at using an animator to call the Irrlicht
> > rendering calls at the EFL frame rate.  Irrlicht does it's own
> > make-current at this time, buried deep in it's rendering
> > functions.  If I remember, EFL callbacks are guaranteed to be
> > called in the main thread, so that you can safely call other EFL
> > functions and not worry about thread safety.  Certainly it will be
> > important to call the Irrlicht render functions on the same thread
> > that called it's init functions, which will most likely be the main
> > thread.
>
> Not really relevant to this thread, but you should just add an
> animator that do call evas_object_image_pixels_dirty_set on the
> Evas_Object_Image and make all Irrlicht handle in the callback set
> with evas_object_image_pixels_get_callback_set.

It is relevant, the thread started talking about how async render
impacts EvasGL usage.  My concerns will be the concerns of anyone
trying to use some random 3D rendering library package with EFL.  EFL
really only does 2D, it has no good support for 3D apps, it needs a
decent 3D render engine.  That's why I'm trying to get EFL and Irrlicht
to work well together.  I think Irrlicht is a good match for EFL.  But
my concern is not Irrlicht specific, it's a general concern for other
people using 3D libraries as well.  Or even heavy GL users.

I'll try that when I next get time to play with it.

I think that still leaves the problem of the non render calls now
likely to be in the wrong thread.  Setup stuff is likely to be done in
the main thread.  General tweakage of 3D engine stuff is likely done
outside of the render callback.  For example, your game decides it's
time to add some new 3D object, that decision is likely not done in the
render callback.  This sort of thing should be well documented, and
good examples of how to deal with async EvasGL rendering, third
party GL libraries, and heavy GL usage.

Hmm, this might be why the ELM GL examples are now broken, which
means "told you so".  :-P