Hi Cedric,

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:

> I am disappointed by your answer. Terminology now use 4 times more CPU
> and your answer is just live with it ! You didn't even look at it. So
> I took the time to see what was going on, basically we are allocating
> memory like crazy and waking up the main loop to often. I fixed the
> main loop wake up issue and I also partially fixed the memory
> allocation issue.

Cedric, really, we were focused on making it actually working first.
Thanks for taking a look at it and for fixing the problems. I did tell
Gustavo we were allocating/deallocating too much memory and we'd have
to fix that. As for waking up the main loop too often, that's because
we are notifying the main thread _unref() the objects, clearly.

> But there is still a problem there, it seems that we
> do rebuild the glyph array every time we render a text. That should
> definitively only happen when the text change. I also noticed that we
> do malloc and copy Evas_Map without using refcounting or anything like
> that. Could you look at both issue ?

After the holidays I'll ask the team to take a look at both of these.

Thanks,

-- Ulisses

>>> Looking from the other way: aside from reducing minimally the code by
>>>
>>> More future proof code, basically.
>>
>> I disagree with that statement. It's less future proof.
>
> Ok. First that callback never change once you setup your canvas, so
> why do we need to pass it every time we draw a frame ? Second as it is
> related to the frame we are rendering, when we do double or triple
> buffer rendering, it start to make sense to have more than one queue
> waiting to be rendered. With your API, we will need to remember one
> more useless information that callback that never change.
>
> So I don't see any benefit with adding that mechanism over using the
> existing one. In fact, it introduce drawback that the current one
> doesn't have.
>
>> I have noticed that there is no GL async implementation. Is it planned
>>> ? Do you have any idea how to fix all those GL direct rendering call ?
>>
>> the direct rendering is easy, we just need to give those functions do_async.
>>
>> what is hard and not in our plans to touch is how to mix main thread with
>> render thread. If evas was the only GL player out there, all the calls
>> could be sent to the render thread, but the main thread may be doing GL as
>> well. Also the map/proxy case right now is in the main thread, which would
>> make the former case void. The proxy/map could be moved to the thread in
>> theory, because it's ordered, then the surface would be ready when its
>> usage is done, but we're on the safe side.
>>
>> For GL the biggest problem is how to lock it and avoid other threads (main)
>> to don't do the make-current. The infrastructure allows that, but the
>> implementation will be dependent on drivers && application. :-(
>
> Couldn't we use the fact that we have EvasGL to do the lock at that
> level properly ?
> --
> Cedric BAIL

Ulisses Furquim