On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:57:22 +0100 Bruno <bonbon...@internet.lu> said:

> On Wed, 30 January 2013 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > now e17 is out - i'm looking at POLISHING the default theme. over time that
> > is. what i am asking for here is INPUT as to what you think could be
> > polished.. and HOW - don't just complain. provide alternatives. and don't
> > just say "it's unreadable" as if we wanted purely readable it'd be only
> > black and white with no shades at all and everything massive so you can fit
> > 2 icons on a screen and 2 lines of text. :) there is a compromise between
> > readable/usable, practical AND looking nice and being consistent. i want to
> > polish off e17's theme before i launch full on into fixing up elm.
>
> I'm running with E17 release so things might have changed in SVN since then.
>
> For mouse pointers I have a hard time getting used to the hot spot located at
> the "white" end of the pointer (thus ~2 pixels "inside" the pointer) instead
> of being at the first black pixel.
> The black border around the hot spot makes it harder to point at the expected
> pixel.
>
> Current cursor             Expected cursor
> hotspot:                   hotspot:
>   ↓                          ↓
>  ▓                          →▓
>  █▓                          █▓
>  █▓▓                         █▓▓
> →█░▓▓                        █░▓▓
>  █░░▓▓                       █░░▓▓
>  █░░░▓▓                      █░░░▓▓
>  █░░░░▓▓                     █░░░░▓▓

fixed. your wish is my command :)

> The window resizing cursor with the blue box has one big disadvantage which
> shows when only a small part of the cursor is visible (as in resizing a window
> from bottom when the bottom of the window is just a few pixels from bottom of
> screen. (same applies to right end of screen).

hmm. this needs more work. basically we have ZERO pointers for these other
modes and i did it quickly using an animated blue box to indicate the action...
but i left ptr there and alone. it probably should change too - i just should
draw some pointer-look-alike style pointer images pointing up/down/left/right/
at diagonals...:)

> For the clock gadget, in Digital mode, horizontal layout, the gadget only
> expands its width against time width instead of against longest of time or
> date.

thats hard to do. :) thus the options for date formats. :)

> In IBar, the label of icons is clipped to shelf which is especially bad for
> vertical layout as nearly no label fits in the small space. Instead of being
> drawn inside the gadget/shelf it should rather show as a tool-tip. (not sure
> if this is only a theme thing or more of a gadget change)

not something theme can clean up atm. :)