On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 03:18:37 +0200
Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Felipe Magno de Almeida
> <felipe.m.alme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Currently, writing modules for enlightenment using C++ is not possible
> > without modifying headers from enlightenment.
> >
> > How is the policy for these headers w.r.t C++ compatibility?
> >
> > The most common problems are:
> > * Lack of extern "C";
> > * The use of C++ keywords, e.g., class (replaced for klass);
> > * Functions and macros defined in the header with implicit conversion
> > from unrelated pointer types;
> > * Typedefs before definition or declaration of the typedef'ed UDT.
>
> I think there was no real review and attempt to make Enlightenment a
> public stable API. I think there is already ABI/API break between E17
> and E18 (and also possibly E19). So I do think that just fixing all
> mistake is an acceptable policy at this stage (basically patch
> welcome).
>
> Regards,

Currently, no API will be stable across versions, and the "public" API used by
few enough people that there is effectively zero feedback.

One of the goals of the next few releases is to make the APIs more stable and
usable, but this requires a huge amount of work that can only be handled in
small parts.

A big problem, as has been cited, is the general state of the E headers. This
isn't really something that I've spent much time on since it's a fairly low
priority issue, but it will be revisited a bit before the E19 release.