Hi,

have you both tried using another configuration?

E.g. use Mac OS on the macbook or some linux live thumb drive?

What you could do is:
1.) Boot some live linux distribution from usb thumb
2.) Use xrandr command to change the backlight property of the output you use
3.) Wipe e’s config so it won’t reset your setting once you login to e again.

Cheers,

Leif