On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:13:44 +0000 Tom Hacohen <tom.haco...@samsung.com> said:

> On 28/11/13 11:08, Jérémy Zurcher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to do some tests before rising my voice,
> > here they are http://cgit.asynk.ch/eo_tokenizer/
> >
> > this is POC, http://www.complang.org/ragel/ based tokenizer which does not
> > all but most of the job. First time I play with ragel, had much fun!!
> >
> > about the .eo file syntax:
> > YAML is easier than JSON to write and read, but imho both are more
> > machine than human oriented.
> > I think we should to stick to C syntax it should ease everybody's pain
> > and hopefully avoid wrong formatting, editor annoyance...
>
> The problem with c syntax, is that we'll never be "there". That is,
> we'll be stuck in the land of similar enough to call it C, but
> incomplete enough to be annoying and confusing.
>
> Just like vim mode is on most editors.
>
> We need very specific things that the C syntax doesn't support (that's
> why we need .eo files in the first place), so instead of hacking around
> something that wasn't designed for it. Why not make something new that
> is simple, easy to learn (i.e immediate transition from c) and designed
> for the task?

it definitely not json then. json was no more designed for this than the c
syntax and a tokenizer we speak of. it is far more limited than a proper
parser/tokenizer that reads c-like syntax. instead now you have string quote
hell and in the end you start to write custom parsing for strings inside json...