On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:19:41 +0100 Andreas Volz <li...@brachttal.net> said:

> Am Fri, 6 Dec 2013 22:48:50 +0900 schrieb Carsten Haitzler (The
> Rasterman):
>
> > On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:19:43 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> > <barbi...@gmail.com> said:

> > > he describes problem with fast changes...  (okay, the shadow thing
> > > is likely a problem as well and easy to fix as you said!)
> >
> > actually he didnt describe it at all. he just said "bad". that
> > doesn't say much at all. using map to rotate a dial or drawing one
>
> I uploaded a demo:
>
> http://tux-style.de/tmp/tacho.edj

permission denided to the edj. :( i need the images for the edc. :(

> code: http://codepad.org/T5Zzcnbj
>
> If you size it up (target display has 1440x550 pixels) you see the
> effect even more. And I need two pointers.

depends on resolution of the original images. note the clock and tacho in the
e17/e18 theme use multiple images with "mipmapping" of choosing the
closest/best image. :)

> The "right" move is nearly acceptable, but the fast way to "left" is
> "jumping" much. There's a implementation with another toolkit at my
> work which renders the pointer with 75hz update rate and it looks
> perfect without any jumping with the same speed. So it seems edje
> doesn't update the rotation with enough frames. So my hope was the
> rotating a 3D vertex object with opengl is faster than rotating an
> image.

edje will run at the framerate of your app regardless - ie the ecore_animator..
UNLESS rendering slows it down or some other activity slows it down from
rendering. using the gl engine instead of software may get you better quality
for the rendering for maps too - but no need to go all the way to opengl
directly in your code. the needle just is an image that is rendered in gl as 2
triangles, but rotated. so if you have framerate problems i suspect it's
something else and not something that hand-drawing triangles in gl will cure
where doing it some more generic way won't.