On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:20:37 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> so now we're getting more into eo... it's time to look at 3 things
> that turn up on my profiles of things that are NOT expedite.
>
>      8.21%  elementary_test  libeo.so.1.9.99      [.] eo_do_internal
>      7.77%  elementary_test  libeo.so.1.9.99      [.] _ev_cb_call
>      3.03%  elementary_test  libeo.so.1.9.99      [.]
> eo_data_scope_get
>
> this is a pretty simply test. open elm test. scroll to bottom, scroll
> back to top. close.  almost 20% of our cpu is spent in the above 3
> calls. it's time to cut this down... a LOT.
>
> so i am looking at _ev_cb_call() and callbacks in general. this is a
> single linked list of cb's for ALL cb's for an object. we filter out
> cb's not matching the callback type (desc) as we walk the list. this
> of course causes us to do a lot of cache misses and hunt through a
> lot of memory to then... do nothing.
>
> imho this needs to be restructured to...
>
> 1. have fewer linked list nodes. that means instead of:
>
>   node (cb) -> node (cb2) -> node (cb3) ...
>
> what might be better is:
>
>   node (cb1,cb2,cb3,cb4,cb5,cb6,cb7,cb8) -> node
> (cb9,cb10,cb11,cb12) ...
>
> ie bigger buckets with more cb's per buckets, fewer links. possibly
> have a cb "optimizer" that figures out if the cb list has been
> changed since it last optimized and then might group all cb's into a
> flat array (if cb's are removed, array is split at that point and
> fragments until the next optimize call). this should save a little
> memory too.
>
> 2. but much more important here is to divide cb's into type specific
> lists/arrays so we don't walk tonnes of cb's we then filter out, and
> to have a fast "select" to select the appropriate list to walk for
> that event (as we call 1 event at a time only - but all cb's for that
> event).

That sounds like a great idea.

> 3. global freeze_count AND object freeze count is checked in the
> inner loop per walk, and not outside the loop before even beginning a
> walk! these should at least be checked first to abort any callback
> list walk that we KNOW will all fail. we know the desc is unfreezable
> direct from the input desc and don't need to use the
> cb->items.item.desc.
>
> ... comments?
>
> now eo_data_scope_get()... i can't find much to imptove here... the
> mixin path isn't hit often and data_sizes are notmally > 0... so some
> way to oprimize:
>
>    if (EINA_LIKELY((klass->desc->data_size > 0) &&
> (klass->desc->type != EO_CLASS_TYPE_MIXIN))) return ((char *) obj) +
> _eo_sz + klass->data_offset;
>
> is most likely what's needed... but there isn't much there. :)
>
> now eo_do_internal()... i think we need to wait for eo2... TOM!

I finally have some time this week (unless a client wants me to be
busy) to look at this eo stuff, and now you tell me that eo2 is
coming?  lol

I'll be going over all the old emails I have marked, try to learn how
eo works, and consider if it can be used for the Edje Lua stuff.  I
think it's either eo for Lua bindings, or LuaJIT FFI.  Manually writing
the Edje Lua bindings is obviously not so good, I kinda balked at all
those text APIs.