> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:29:39 +0200
> From: adr...@notk.org
> To: enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [E-devel] libeeze.so: undefined reference to
> `udev_device_set_sysattr_value'
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014, Doug Newgard wrote:

>>> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:54:44 +0100
>>> From: tom.haco...@samsung.com
>>> To: enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>>> Subject: Re: [E-devel] libeeze.so: undefined reference to
>>> `udev_device_set_sysattr_value'
> [...] snip
>>> Again, an horrible precedence and a passive aggressive way of saying "we
>>> no longer support all of you guys who haven't jumped on the systemd
>>> band-wagon".
>>
>> udev works fine without systemd. Those distros that are refusing to update
>> past 184 are either ones that use ancient software anyway or they are just
>> taking a very childish stance and refusing to even build it now.
>
> Distros tend to not move past 184 (or 182 here) precisely because it's
> annoying to get building and working. It's not simply because they're
> being childish.

systemd/udev is actually pretty straight forward to build. Those distros that
refuse to update udev because they have to build it as part of systemd are
being childish, nothing more. Refusing to update an important part of your
system simply because you don't want to deal with it can be called nothing less.

> But anyway, the point is moot. Have a look at
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
>
> Quoting:
>> Also note that at that point we intend to move udev onto kdbus as
>> transport, and get rid of the userspace-to-userspace netlink-based
>> tranport udev used so far. Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
>> kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
>> not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
>> point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call.
>
> IOW, even if it were all working nicely right now, that won't last. For
> future versions this raises the issue of chosing what is being depended
> upon. As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care but thought that you
> should remember that even in the best case for compatibility, this won't
> last long.

So they're going to make it use a new feature of the kernel. Nothing wrong with
that. Even then, those distros at 182 are STILL 34+ versions out of date.