On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:59:22 +0200 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
said:

> Hello.
>
> On 25/10/14 09:29, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> >

> > How come they dont work in master directly and all patches get submitted
> > to that. then any bug fix patches get merged from the stable branch.
>
> Because we want ll people to use master during the stabilization phase.
> That way we can ensure people are actually using and testing it.
>
> Something that would not be true if we had a separate stable branch. It
> also ensures that we make commits are always landing in master and we
> don't forget about them when done in a stable branch.

or think about it this way - stabilization weeks are for pulling the project
together, not pushing everyone away "into their branches". it's a "all hands on
deck" time where everyone uses the same code, suffers the same issues and fixes
the same set of problems, testing eachothers' work daily if not even hourly. if
a fix breaks other things, we hope to catch it asap. if every dev actually did
this and worked on fixing bugs only during this time, we'd be far more solid
and stable by now.