On 16/02/15 21:38, Boris Faure wrote:
> Hi fellow developers,
>
> I want to add to an api in the efl. It is not important to know what it
> is about but I want to use it in terminology.  It should be included in
> efl-1.14 if everything goes according to my plan.  In terminology, I've
> got the following:
> #if (EFL_VERSION_MAJOR > 1) || (EFL_VERSION_MINOR >= 14)
>    [code that uses that new api]
> #endif
> I modified my efl source code with that new api and installed it.  But
> the current efl version is 1.13.99 since we're in dev mode.  My '#if' in
> terminology does not apply here.  I can not test for 1.13.99 using
> EFL_VERSION* because EFL_VERSION_MICRO is not defined.
>
> What is the correct way to handle that situation?
> Having EFL_VERSION_MINOR >= 13 is not acceptable as I am sure I will
> forget to change it.
>
> Greetings,

First of all, it needs to be &&, not || :P

Second of all, even that is not a good solution because you can't be
sure the API will really be included as is in .14 and you can
accidentally release it before .14 and then we'll change the API or
something. You probably need to have a manual review anyway.

Best is probably have a centralised place where you define a macro for
the new feature (terminology_private.h or whatever) which also has a
#warning or something to make sure you revisit it. Even if you check for
 >= 1.13.99 it won't help, as you might have an older version from git
to work against.

Another thing you could do, but is not really safe, is rely on VREV,
which is a sequential number since the beginning of the current branch
(similar to svn rev), but it's unsafe because you can have the same
number in a different branch (let's say 1.13 stable).

--
Tom.