Hi all,

Please excuse the somewhat random / rambling email but I've been thinking
more about E17/E18 etc theming, sharing of custom setups and release cycles
and the impact they have on the E user community and potential new users.

E17 may have been a long time in the making but during that period we were
able to create and run (two different?) theme / background support sites
that proved to be very popular. They were a great way share content, get
updates and also to promote the beautiful desktop phenomenon that was the
future of Enlightenment. More recently conversations have been brought up
around config sharing or promoting desktop setups - I love that as an
extension to what has worked in the past and I've seen it hook new users on
other systems.

In the new regular release cycle of E18/E19 etc (which has a huge number of
benefits) it's much harder to point people at a place to get themes and
even to manage the custom themes you downloaded as the version bumps can
break what you've got. On community supported sites it's harder to manage
this upgrade cycle and from what I've seen this could have contributed to
many places still having the most popular themes being for E17 and not
later versions.

Another related topic of conversation that's been floating around for a
while is Marrakesh - or the more general topic of how to we distribute our
apps easier to many different platforms. Is this actually a new problem or
is it related and we've just managed to avoid it due to great sites like
exchange and get-e?

And so to my point. As we approach the landmark version number of E20 is
there an opportunity to draw a line in the sand from which point forward we
can better support themes, their upgrade paths and their sharing /
installation?
What I wonder is this. Can we create, sponsor or simply endorse a central
site for (initially) theme sharing etc that would be better integrated into
the environment either by creating a native desktop app or even integrating
it into theme selection dialogs etc so discovery is a breeze? If we take
this opportunity to create a "LTS" or "stable" theme base then it would be
on us, rather than every themer, to ensure that future upgrades to Edegrade
somewhat gracefully if an out of date theme is selected. As something
better tied to the core product there would be an opportunity to manage
version requirements, integrate config sharing or whatever the next cool
thing is and build all of this out ahead of the full dream of app
distribution through our own delivery mechanism.

I could be way off the mark here but I think this could help to increase
engagement whilst giving us a little more exposure / experience with an
"app store" like system for distributing / engaging / promoting our work.
Additionally the web frontend could be a great showcase of the cool things
that E enables beyond the current screenshot setup and less up to date
external theme sites.

Thanks for sticking with me through the long post - I hope some of it is
interesting. Apologies if this steps on previous threads - I've been away
from the group for a while but hoped the outsider returning's point of view
could be useful :-)

Cheers,
Andrew