On 01/04/15 00:54, Andrew Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please excuse the somewhat random / rambling email but I've been thinking
> more about E17/E18 etc theming, sharing of custom setups and release cycles
> and the impact they have on the E user community and potential new users.
>
> E17 may have been a long time in the making but during that period we were
> able to create and run (two different?) theme / background support sites
> that proved to be very popular. They were a great way share content, get
> updates and also to promote the beautiful desktop phenomenon that was the
> future of Enlightenment. More recently conversations have been brought up
> around config sharing or promoting desktop setups - I love that as an
> extension to what has worked in the past and I've seen it hook new users on
> other systems.
>
> In the new regular release cycle of E18/E19 etc (which has a huge number of
> benefits) it's much harder to point people at a place to get themes and
> even to manage the custom themes you downloaded as the version bumps can
> break what you've got. On community supported sites it's harder to manage
> this upgrade cycle and from what I've seen this could have contributed to
> many places still having the most popular themes being for E17 and not
> later versions.
>
> Another related topic of conversation that's been floating around for a
> while is Marrakesh - or the more general topic of how to we distribute our
> apps easier to many different platforms. Is this actually a new problem or
> is it related and we've just managed to avoid it due to great sites like
> exchange and get-e?
>
> And so to my point. As we approach the landmark version number of E20 is
> there an opportunity to draw a line in the sand from which point forward we
> can better support themes, their upgrade paths and their sharing /
> installation?
> What I wonder is this. Can we create, sponsor or simply endorse a central
> site for (initially) theme sharing etc that would be better integrated into
> the environment either by creating a native desktop app or even integrating
> it into theme selection dialogs etc so discovery is a breeze? If we take
> this opportunity to create a "LTS" or "stable" theme base then it would be
> on us, rather than every themer, to ensure that future upgrades to Edegrade
> somewhat gracefully if an out of date theme is selected. As something
> better tied to the core product there would be an opportunity to manage
> version requirements, integrate config sharing or whatever the next cool
> thing is and build all of this out ahead of the full dream of app
> distribution through our own delivery mechanism.
>
> I could be way off the mark here but I think this could help to increase
> engagement whilst giving us a little more exposure / experience with an
> "app store" like system for distributing / engaging / promoting our work.
> [...]

I clarified it on the ML a few months back. E19 themes will no longer
break. You can feel free to theme whatever you want, and you can be sure
these themes will work. I don't remember if this also applies to E18
themes, or just since the E19 release.

The two exceptions that come to mind are:
1. Fixes to critical issues that otherwise can't be fixed.
2. New features (like moving to E widgets to Elm) that will obviously
not be themed until the theme is updated. (obviously, it's the same with
every feature added).

As for a centralised place: raster and I gave our vision, and we'd like
to have something under the e.org umbrella. Unfortunately I don't have
time to push this any further at the time being, but it is wanted and
needed. I usually point people to the automatic theme generation script,
or to bodhi for themes. I'd like configs to be shared too. Although not
officially talked about on the ML, configs shouldn't break either. All
changes to config files should be upgradable.

--
Tom.