On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 10:28:30 +0200 Lionel Orry <lionel.o...@gmail.com> said:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:20:38 +0200 Jonathan Aquilina
> > <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net> said:
> >
> >> Not working in what sense? I would be up for looking into the issues and
> >> getting things working with proper documentation through doxygen. Since
> >> my programming know how that is needed for E is non existent.
> >
> > make doc (run a doxygen build run) across efl and elm take like ~2-5mins ...
> > thats  about as long - even longer than compiling efl and elementary.
> > doxygen has to do a FULL rebuild. it can't do a partial. that means
> > turn-around time between you edited docs in src and seeing what they come
> > out as is way too long. it should be no more than a few seconds.
> >
> > the docs somehow end up with mountains of the docs simply inaccessible. they
> > are there but unlinked from master pages so navigating to them is basically
> > impossible - and fixing it as above is a journey in such frustration that
> > you give up.
> >
> > i dislike that doxygen just splats everything in a class (group) and all
> > api's on a single page ... in whatever order it feels like. long ago in the
> > early days of evas - back in 2001 or so i wrote a 200 page document on al
> > of evas. i put 1 api call per page. it was neater and people actually liked
> > the docs. never since has anyone liked the doxygen docs.
> >
> > the styling is ... bad. and hard to improve and customize further.
> >
> > no idea how to make doxygen properly link elm and efl docs - so when you
> > have evas_object_del() in elm docs - it points to the efl docs. it just is
> > totally unlinked as the doc build is separate from efl. without a src tree
> > merge i just don't see this working. also as long as doc builds are part of
> > src - they are separate entites but efl is seen as efl + elementary by
> > develoeprs and they complain bitterly if our docs are not unified as a
> > single entity. in fact all our existing efl docs pretty much assume ecore
> > is separate to eina is separate to evas is separate to ecore_evas is
> > separate to edje etc because that is just how they always have been. it's
> > time we stop that because people just don't like it.
> >
> > doxygen doesn't understand eo. it can't. it doesn't understand OO in C. it
> > doesn't grok eo inheritance. we would have to fake generate pretend oo docs
> > for C (some .h files with groups pretending to be classes, and hand-done
> > comments and links on inheritance). it also doesn't understand events
> > within our eo oo setup - that objects inherit events from parent classes.
> >

> That makes me think... The entity who knows best Eo is Eolian. I think
> eolian should be made more versatile and have a larger set of
> generators, not only C and C++ (using eina modules maybe ?); one of
> them could be a Markdown generator, so that eolian generates the
> source code and the doc at the same time!

we do. there is a javascript one in one of the efl git branches (v8/node.js)
and there is a lua one too in git master. work has been done to get a python
one going as well (status unknown atm). :)

at least the idea for now is libeolian woul dbe used to parse the eo files and
then spit out whatever is needed as the parsing is then done and all in memory
- maybe use lua to do it.