On 09/04/15 10:22, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 09/04/15 10:47, Tom Hacohen wrote:
>> On 09/04/15 01:14, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

>>> look at:
>>>
>>> https://www.enlightenment.org/doku.php?id=download-latest
>>>
>>> look at the top - it's a bunch of variables for version of that package.
>>> that's
>>> it. url and label is generates from the vars. just update those vars at
>>> release
>>> of anything (add more vars and table entries when new stuff is being
>>> released
>>> that wasn't before).
>>>

>> I'm talking about two things:
>> 1. Maintaining the 2000 cells of the table. You have to check the
>> distro's websites (or script it, and then it's fine) in order to update
>> those. Your approach doesn't matter there.
>
> Its easy to make it sounding scarry when using factor 10. Its actually
> 231 cells. Not all of them need to be updated.
>
> If someone wants to script this I would be happy. Given that I do not
> see this happening I will do it manually and see how this goes.
>
>> 2. Building new EFL packages. Building a newer version is easy, that's
>> not the problem. The problem is testing. At our current rate, if
>> maintainers follow our releases they need to build and *test* packages
>> way too often, and testing takes time.
>>

>>From what current rate do you talk here? We have two stable updates for
> 1.13 which out for two months. That sounds like we are still having one
> stable update per months on average.
>
> Which is more or less what we had all the time. Around 3-4 stable
> updates per major release. A month is not enough time to update a package?
>
> I try to not have to many of them (my initial goal has been 4-5 but I
> decreased this over time) but they are essentially bug fixes which we
> should offer our users.
> If you take 1.13.2 as example there was a evas use after free fix which
> was tracked for a long time and it was asked by the user to make a
> stable update with this.
>
> So in summary it means balancing the needs of updates and reducing the
> amount of updates we do. I think one stable update per month on average
> is good.

The original point has become moot ever since you said you only wanna
update it once a month, it's OK (I guess) to spend 15minutes a month on
that, and the value is obviously worth it.

Stable update a month is great. I did the math wrong, I was under the
impression it was once every two weeks (and I think I mentioned that).

Bottom line: sorry for the noise.

--
Tom.